School Break Specials
Members & Non Members, K-7th
School Break Specials are full day programs for kids who are out of school for scheduled breaks or weather related closings. If you have questions, please contact Allison Burger at (402) 334-6409 or Amanda Welsh at (402) 590-2152.
- Open to Members & Non Members, K-7th grade.
- Registration is per day.
- School Break Specials run 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Before & After Care is available. Additional registration is required.
- Drop off & pick up are at the JCC Youth Lounge.
- Kidz Inn participants must register for School Break Specials. Only Before & After Care is covered by Kidz Inn fee.
- Pizza Fridays are not included. Additional registration is required
Update to Youth Registration Policy
We’ve recently updated some of the terms of our registration policies for Youth programming. The following adjustments went into effect on October 1, 2019. School Break Specials, Winter Break Specials, Spring Break Specials, and Kids Night Out programs are subject to the following terms.
- If a registration is received less than 1 week prior to the program a $20 late registration fee will be assessed to each participant.
- If you cancel less than 1 week prior to the program you will receive a credit to be used for future programs at the JCC.
- If you do not show up for a program and have not notified staff no refund or credit will be given.
- If you cancel prior to 1 week before the program a full refund will be issued or credit for future program.
Click here to see a full list of School Break Specials for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Wednesday, November 27…………..Turkey Day
Gobble, Gobble it’s Turkey Day! Let’s be thankful and celebrate by seeing how many things we can make turkey themed!
Schools: OPS, Westside, Millard, SVdP, CtK | code: 09-1127 | B/A: 09-1127BA
Monday, December 23…………….Bricks & Blocks
Legos, Jenga, Duplox and more. We will come up with wild creations using different types of blocks.
Schools: All Schools | code: 09-1223 | B/A: 09-1223BA
Tuesday, December 24………………Mad Scientists
Pack your goggles and your lab coats because we are going to be mad scientists for the day!
School: All Schools | code: 09-1224 | B/A: 09-1224BA
Thursday, December 26…………….Happy Hanukkah
Let’s light the menorah, spin the dreidel, bake some rugelach and eat some gelt while we celebrate Hanukkah.
School: All Schools | code: 09-1226 | B/A: 09-1226BA
Friday, December 27…………………Zombie Apocalypse
Will you be ready if zombies takeover the J? We will spend the day preparing for a zombie apocalypse. Will you survive? Of course we will have $5 Pizza Friday to keep up our energy.
School: All Schools | code: 09-1227 | B/A: 09-1227BA | Pizza: 09-1227P
Monday, December 30…………………Creepy Crawlers
Lady bugs, caterpillars and beetles are just the beginning of our day. We will dapple in all things creepy and crawly.
School: All Schools | code: 09-1230 | B/A: 09-1230BA
Tuesday, December 31…………………..New Years Party!
Three, two, one, HAPPY NEW YEAR! We will spend the day having our own New Years Eve party as we count down to 2020!
Schools: All Schools | code: 09-1231 | B/A: 09-1231BA
Thursday, January 2…………….Pirates & Mermaids
What’s better a pirate or a mermaid? We will dive in to a day of sea adventures full of both and an outing to Pirate Putt mini-golf!
Schools: All Schools | code: 09-0102 | B/A: 09-0103BA
Friday, January 3………………….Camp JCC
Who says you can’t go camping in the winter? We will have a day filled with camping activities. It will feel like summer. It’s also pizza Friday!
Schools: All Schools | code: 09-0103 | B/A: 09-0103BA | Pizza: 09-0103P
Monday, January 6………………CSI Mystery
Oh no! There’s been a crime! Will we be able to use our best CSI skills to solve the crime?
Schools: OPS, SVdP | code: 09-0106 | B/A: 09-1106BA
Before & After Care
Before & After Care
School Break Special participants that need to be dropped off before the 9:00 a.m. or picked up after the 4:00 p.m. have the option of registering for Before & After Care.
- Before Care runs from 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
- After Care runs from 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Registration is per day
- Breakfast is included for Before Care participants who arrive by 8:00 a.m.
- Afternoon snacks are included for those children in After Care.
- Price is per child and added onto the cost of the School Break Special
Member & Non: +$10
What to Bring
- Dairy Lunch (No meat or items that need to be reheated)
- Tennis Shoes & Socks
- Swimsuit (We provide towels)
- Kids should clothes that you can move, play, and create in
There is no need to send extra money for activities. Children should wear comfortable clothes that they can move in and that are also suitable for art projects. We ask that kids leave their electronics and money at home. Children are solely responsible for all items they bring with them.
Pizza Friday & Lunch
Children should bring a dairy based lunch (no meat) with them every day. We will refrigerate lunches if needed. Do not send items that need to be heated. A snack will be provided. Breakfast is served from 7:00 – 8:00 a.m., during the before care hours. On Pizza Fridays children have the option of purchasing a cheese pizza lunch for $5. Please pre-register if you choose to participate. Lunch includes two slices of pizza, applesauce, cookies and beverage.
Unaccompanied Youth Policy
Member children ages 11 and older are permitted to be unaccompanied in JCC facilities without parental or adult supervision.
• This does not include the pool areas. Children, under age 12, must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Children, under age 12, must also take a 25-meter swim test to determine their swim ability. Tests will be administered by a lifeguard. Children will be issued a wristband based on their results.
• This does not include the fitness center. The minimum age for fitness center usage is 13. However, teens ages 13–16 must go through a mandatory orientation to ensure a safe and effective workout.
The following spaces are not hang-out areas: locker rooms, the lobby entrance, hallways, art gallery, membership services entrance, health spa entrance and/or couches/chairs in those areas.
Unaccompanied youth are expected to display appropriate behavior: consideration of others, respect for the facility, and utilization of appropriate language, at all times. If a child, 11 years of age or older, is not behaving in a respectful manner (as deemed by the JCC staff), a JCC staff member will contact his/her parent or guardian, asking them to promptly collect their child. Some examples of unacceptable behaviors include: destruction of property, running through the halls, failure to follow staff directives, rowdiness, and use of foul language. If a child is sent home, JCC privileges may be suspended until a meeting is convened with the parent or guardian. The JCC cannot be held responsible for members age 11 and over attending the JCC and not enrolled in an organized activity.
Youth Department Behavior Policies
JCC Youth Department DISCIPLINE POLICY
In order to facilitate a safe, secure, fun environment for all participants attending JCC Youth Department activities the following policy has been implemented. This policy is not intended to be activated for minor “misbehaving” infractions. On a daily basis, the JCC Youth Department works with children who are having a “bad day”. Those types of behaviors, where neither malice nor destructive outcomes were intended will continue to be addressed at the Supervisor/Child level. Time-outs and, in some situations, loss of choice activity will continue to be the discipline implemented.
The Youth Department Discipline Policy will be activated when:
1. The number of minor infractions has been excessive; and /or
2. The behavior constitutes a violation against other children or adults, including unwelcome intentional touching or grabbing of another child, explicit and offensive verbal remarks (either sexual in nature or general taunting), name calling, vulgar or identifiable unacceptable language, or other verbal or physical conduct in violation of the JCC Youth Department Code of Conduct; and/or
3. The behavior constitutes a violation against the JCC or other children’s property and/or
4. The behavior constitutes a safety issue either for the child themselves, other children, or staff. In the event this policy is activated for any child, written documentation will be kept by the Director of all applicable dates, decisions and agreements (including a plan of action if needed.)
The formal discipline policy is as follows:
1. All enrolled children and their parents/guardian will sign a Conduct Contract acknowledging their notice and understanding of our Code of Conduct, and the potential repercussions of negative behaviors.
2. Upon occurrence of the first serious offense which is significant in nature to bring to the attention of the Youth Director, will result in a private discussion between the Youth Director and the child. The child will also be removed from their choice of activity for the day. The parent will be notified of the negative behavior and will be advised that if the same or related behavior is repeated, a parent conference will be required. The director will notify JCC management.
3. If the behavior continues, the child will again be removed from the group activities and the parents will be notified of the need for a Parent/Child/Director conference before the child can return to the program.
4. If the behavior still continues, a parent conference will again be required, (either with or without the child at the parent’s discretion). The child may be suspended from the program for a period of time up to 3 days (at Director’s discretion). The child will then be allowed to continue in the program only after the director and parent have prepared and agreed upon a plan of achieving acceptable behavior in the child.
5. If, after all of these steps, the behavior continues, the child will only be allowed to continue in the program if a professional counselor is involved (at the parent’s expense) in modifying the negative behavior. At this point, the professional will be asked to recommend a time frame for compliance based on the situation. If a professional is not brought in, or the time frame set forth is expended, the child will be expelled from the program with a date for re-entry set by the Director.
Under extreme circumstances and/or in situations when that child or other children’s safety is at risk, the Youth Director, with agreement from the JCC Executive Director, has the authority to ask a child to leave the program without following the above procedure.